The Museum collection is housed in three historic buildings on the square in Wellington, across the street east of the courthouse. The Pruden Building houses the Art Center which features the work of local artists, special exhibits, or works from the permanent collection. The Pruden Building was a gift of Wellington State Bank and previously the Pruden Drug Store. The Sullivan Buildings were the gift of the Sullivan Family and were used by Sullivan Hardware and Furniture from 1934 until the mid-1980s.
The Sullivan Buildings house the main collection of historical items from the settlement of the county in about 1880. Included are items from the Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow’s plunge into Salt Fork of Red River, a schoolroom, Templeton Law Office, soda fountain, Mothuskek square piano, military gear from all twentieth century campaigns, a wise men collection (seasonal), quilts, crocheted items and other handwork.
Oil paintings by local artist Henry Sullivan depict the settlement of the county from the day of buffalos to present-day tractors. The museum’s first home at 1404 15th Street was a gift of R. H. and Mildred Tyler and is now devoted to storage. On the grounds is the bell from the Wellington East Ward School.